Sunday, March 24, 2019

Cover Images Research

I researched different covers of music magazines, mostly utilizing Pinterest. One specific page that I looked at had a list of pinned Rock Magazine Covers that ranged over a variety of decades.  One thing that I saw in common for most magazines is that most tend to showcase only one artist on the cover and the shot tends to be a close-up.  Sometimes the magazine showcases only the lead singer if the magazine is doing an article about a band.  However, I did find a few magazines that did group band photos.  Those shots tended to be mid shots.  The position of the artists tends to be looking towards the camera in a staged manner.  There were very few magazines that I found that had an action shot of someone mid playing the guitar, for example. Most of the band cover images were staged photos that had the band closely clustered together.  This makes sense since the photographer has to fit all members into one shot and still have enough room to put the masthead of the magazine and major headlines. 

The cover images for the magazines tend to be promotional.  Most magazines focus on artists that are up and coming.  At least in the major rock music magazines, not much importance is placed or artists that have a small fan group or following.  The messages conveyed through the image tells a lot to the audience about certain bands.  For example, I found two different magazine covers of the same band, Paramore.  The first magazine cover (Rock Sound) is a high angle shot that conveys to the reader that this band is fun.  The use of bright blue in the cover also conveys to the reader that this band is fun-loving and carefree. They have personality and they enjoy making their music.  The second cover (KERRANG!) conveys a much more somber tone.  Obviously, the band members are older and seem to be more sophisticated and mature. The use of black and white convey that same somber, serious tone.  The shot of the band ios them looking head-on into the camera.  The members aren't exactly smiling as they look at the camera.  They look serious like they mean business. Hence the message that is conveyed is that they are a band that is serious about the music that they produce. 

Image result for band cover images music magazines   Image result for band cover images music magazines


For my cover, I want to convey that my band is fun as shown in the first cover of Paramore (Rock Sound). The pictures that I took of the band on Monday express that my band is fun and energetic and we love just being around each other. Many of the photos that I took utilized genre conventions of a rock magazine.  I took lots of photos where the band were clustered together and looking straight into the camera.  I also had a few of the band members show off their instruments to the camera so the viewer can get a glimpse as to what kind of musicians are in the band.  I also thought a lot about the color scheme that I want.  I wanted to show that my band was fun but also serious when it came down to the music. My research about Color Palettes of Magazines has also indicated that color scheme most associated with alternative or rock magazines tends to be blacks, greys, and reds.  I took my photos keeping in mind that I wanted to have a grey/black background.



Resources
Color Palettes in Music Magazines
Lewis, Ceri. “Colour Palettes from Music Magazines.” LinkedIn SlideShare, 10 Jan. 2017, www.slideshare.net/CeriLewis8/colour-palettes-from-music-magazines.
Rock Magazine Covers
“Rock Magazine Covers.” Pinterest, 4 Sept. 2016, in.pinterest.com/jrcones/rock-magazine-covers/?lp=true.

No comments:

Post a Comment