Sunday, March 24, 2019

Houston, We Have Lift Off!!


All week, I have been working on the cover of my magazine.  I'm actually pretty impressed with it!  I'm really glad that I have a cover because I feel like my magazine is finally coming all together.  Don't get me wrong, I still have a LONG way to go before I can call it quits but I'm happy to see some major progress with DISTORTION. 

I've worked really hard and I've tried to utilize my research in order to plan out every decision that I make. Let me tell you....making a magazine is HARD work.  I honestly did think that making the pages would be easy.  All I thought I had to do was add a cover image, slap on a masthead and some titles of potential articles to put in my magazine and I would be done. NOPE!!! Some of the pictures that I had as potential cover images didn't work out because I didn't plan enough room to add my masthead and headlines without covering a band member's face.  

Some problems that I encountered over the week:
1) I'm having difficulties with Joomag.  I actually really like the software.  It allows me to plan out everything really well, from the specific spacing that I want on the text, to the exact dimensions of my images.  My problem with Joomag is that I don't know where anything is.  For example, I was making the headlines for the cover and I couldn't figure out how to change the color of it.  I did multiple Google searches, researched tutorials on Youtube, and browsed through the Joomag help center.  No matter where I looked, I could not find on my own screen the little tab that was in control of changing the fonts. After literally hours of frustration, I would walk away with very little progress with my magazine.  I swear, yesterday I opened my laptop and magically that font color tab appeared on the left-hand corner.  I just need to get used to playing around with the software.  No matter how frustrated I get with Joomag, I have to tell myself to keep trying harder to work on it.  Even with all the difficulties I'm facing, I still like Joomag WAY better than Canva. 

2) Some of the pictures that I took didn't end up working out the way I wanted to.  Remember how I said earlier in the week that I always take extra photos in case I need them in an emergency.  Well, it's a good thing that I  did because the original photo that I wanted to use for my cover image, did not end up working out.  Here's the sample that I started but didn't end up liking. 
While this cover isn't all that bad, I didn't realize some of the problems that I would face when trying to decide the layout of the cover.  Because the photo is so close to the band members, I had difficulty placing the masthead in a prominent location.  I also didn't leave enough room on top of Gabe's (Guitarist on the right) head so I didn't have a lot of room for error.  When I was placing the masthead, I had to move the photo down in order to not cover Gabe, but because the photo was so close to the band member's faces, I ran out of room of the background with the pattern on the wall.  In order to fix the problem, I layered another photo that I took on the same wall behind it in order to lengthen the original photo. However, because the underlying photo was taken at a different distance, there is a slight change in the size of the pattern and the color seems a little darker.  I also didn't have a lot of room to put in my headings.  While I don't hate this cover, I liked the second cover I made much more.  I had less difficulty with placing my headings and masthead, and I just like the overall look of it better.  Who knows? Maybe I might end up using this, but for right now, I think I'll put this on the back burner. 


Without further ado, here is my magazine cover!

.  


No comments:

Post a Comment