Tuesday, March 19, 2019

"Don't stop me now, 'Cause I'm having a good time I don't want to stop at all" Don't Stop Me Now by Queen

Progress Report

I got my first photo shoot done!! I realized that next week is spring break and after that, there is one more week before my project is supposed to be finished! 😬😬😬 YIKES!! I knew that I needed to get some photos taken, especially since I'm leaving school a few days early to go to Texas to visit my family (I'm actually on the plane right now, writing this blog post!). So here's a recap of how my day went...

Yetserday after school, I got my band together after our usual band practice and took pictures of them . I had drawn out a layout of what picture I wanted and how I wanted them taken in class earlier that day.

Remember how I said earlier that my original drummer had to leave the band? Not only was I really upset that he left but that also messed up my photo shoot schedule. I wasn't super worried about my photos before I knew that because if worse came to worse, I could use photos that I have taken of my band from previous concerts.  After he told me the news, I realized that I couldn't do that because the band members would be different. I've been super freaked out this week because I've been feeling the pressure and I wasn't sure that my new drummer would be cool with taking photos with the band .But not to worry! I got in contact with our new drummer before I officially met her on Monday. I told her that I needed to get photos for my magazine and she was more than willing to help me out. It actually worked out for all of us because we got to know her better.  FYI Albany is amazing and I love her already!! She's so talented and she's going to be an amazing asset to the band.

So as I mentioned earlier, I had pre-planned what I wanted my magazine to look like so I got to the studio knowing what I needed to get done.  I had told my band earlier in the day that I wanted to take photos and they were excited to help me out.  The only time everyone was available to do the photo shoot was after band practice, which ends at 7:30, for about thirty minutes. 😬 That's not a lot of time but I had planned my photos out, so I was hoping I could get it all done.  I had also learned from previous projects that I DEFINITELY needed to take more than just the few shots that I planned . I know with past projects, those extra shots that I took, ended up being my saving grace 😉. I knew exactly where in the studio I wanted to take my photos so that made things faster. I even factored in lighting .I knew that it would be dark when we got out of band practice, but the studio has good lighting in the places that I picked to do my photos .

One of the challenges that I faced was getting my band set in position to do the photos . When I planned my photos, I was really focusing on the shot and not how I would position the band for the shot. We wasted a lot of time trying to figure out the position that I wanted. For example, for the cover shot, I knew that I wanted to do a shot with the whole band all looking at the camera, because that is what most Rock magazines do on their front cover. They promote a certain artists, usually using a mid shot to capture the singer. If its a band, most magazines use a mid shot for them or a wide shot. So I knew I needed to get a mid or wide shot, but the problem was I didn't have an exact plan in my head about where each band member would stand/sit in the shot.  Another thing that I didnt take into consideration was the amount of space that I had to work with. One of the shots below was taken in the band room (all black room). I didn't realize that I had very limited space.  The small space plus the fact that I had to fit about seven people in the shot ended up being a problem for me. For that specific picture, I wasn't able to get the exact shot that I wanted which made me kind of unhappy. The last problem that I had was the limited time I had to do everything. I ended up not taking one of the shots that I needed because my guitar players and my drummer had to leave. That specific picture that I didn't take was for the table of contents so I'm thinking that I might need to change the background photo completely.

Overall, I'm pleased that I got something done but I'm also apprehensive because it's getting down to the wire and I didn't get all the shots I wanted during the photo shoot.  I think I need to get the band together again for another photo shoot just so I know that I have plenty of photos to work with in my magazine.


Here's a preview of some of the photos from yesterday:






No comments:

Post a Comment