Tuesday, March 5, 2019

"I would kill for you, that's right. If that's what you wanted" - By OneRepublic

My Audience

As I've mentioned before, I want my magazine to be about Alternative/Indie/Rock music.  Therefore, my target audience is going to be very segmented. However, my target audience is most likely within the ages of 15-24 years old, which would be considered the young adult/adult audience. I don't want to limit my target audience anymore by trying to target a certain gender because my market is already limited to people who are interested in this specific music genre.  Also, my case study research that I did about Kerrang! indicates that both males and females are interested in reading this music magazine so I won't be at a disadvantage by not targeting my magazine towards a specific gender.


While researching target audiences for music magazines, I found this website on SlideShare. It was really interesting to look at someone else's primary research and see how that affected how they positioned their magazine.  I plan on looking at this research to influence what I put in my magazine. For example, the research indicates that the target audience reads about information about new and old bands.  the target audience also appreciates information about upcoming band gigs and a look at how bands/songs are performing on the weekly charts.  The research from these sites also indicates that Indie/Rock magazines are priced reasonably so that a wide variety of people can afford to purchase the issues.

For my magazine issue, I plan to utilize the research that I found by making my content about old and new bands.  Readers also tend to appreciate a look at the weekly charts to see a song's popularity over the week, so I will try and include my own chart in my issue.  The band/artist who is on the main cover tends to be an up-and-coming artist who has a song that is rising in the weekly charts, which is perfect because that is how I plan to position my own band, the Fluorescent Adolescents.


No comments:

Post a Comment